How To Use Lining Paper
When redecorating, we may often find some walls that simply aren’t ideal for wallpapering or painting, whether it is an uneven surface or just a poorly constructed wall, lining paper can be a solution to your problem.
So in what type of situation would you use lining paper? Commonly it’s used to smooth out a wall and cover any imperfections such as hairline cracks to enable you to get a flat finish ready for wallpapering, but there are several other reasons to line a wall. It can also be used to reduce shrinkage gaps in between wallpaper sheets as it aids with the drying process, making it last longer. As well as speeding up the drying process, lining paper also has the added benefit of reducing the possibility of staining as the moisture from the paste can sometimes cause colours to run.
Now that you have determined whether lining paper is suitable for you, it’s time to grab your tools and start the process…
- Prepare the Walls – Remove any wallpaper/lining paper that’s been previously applied, with the help of our FX Tools Wallpaper Scraper. Fill in any cracks if your wall is plastered and apply a watery adhesive with a roller brush to size the walls.
- Cut & Paste – Slice your lining paper to the length that is necessary, leaving it slightly longer at both ends and apply a thick layer of paste generously to the paper.
- Plan – Starting from the side of a window or a wall parallel to the door, use a long spirit level to draw a straight line to act as a guide for your first piece.
- Apply – Begin applying the paper horizontally across, this is to avoid the joints of the wallpaper sitting on top of the lining paper. Unfold the first half of the lining paper and use a brush to smooth it out as you apply, removing any air pockets to ensure an even finish. Continue with the second half.
- Push – Push the paper to the edges between the wall, ceiling and skirting boards with a paper brush to create fold lines where you can cut any excess off to create a smooth, sleek finish.
Voila, you are now wallpaper or paint ready!